MIT
MTL

Palacios wins PECASE award

— tpalacios; October 30th, 2011 |

Tomas Palacios, the Emmanuel E. Landsman Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and director of the MIT Center for Graphene Devices and Systems.

The White House announced on Monday that Tomas Palacios, the Emmanuel E. Landsman Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and director of the MIT Center for Graphene Devices and Systems, was among the 94 young researchers awarded the 2011 Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), the highest honor bestowed by the U.S. government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers.

The awards, established by President Bill Clinton in 1996, are coordinated by the Office of Science and Technology Policy within the Executive Office of the President. Sixteen Federal departments and agencies join together annually to nominate the most meritorious scientists and engineers. Awardees are selected for their pursuit of innovative research at the frontiers of science and technology and their commitment to community service as demonstrated through scientific leadership, public education or community outreach.

“It is a tremendous honor to have been selected for the PECASE award,” Palacios said. “It would have not been possible without the hard work and dedication of my students, and the support of my colleagues at MIT. This is an amazing place and I am humbled to be able to represent it in this award. I would also like to thank my sponsors at ONR, DARPA, ARL, DOE, ARPA-E, MARCO, NSF and other organizations and companies for supporting my research and helping us to push the limits of electronics.”